Community Training and Professional Development Department
Our training goes beyond the classroom. It takes a village to raise well-rounded children. In addition to the classroom education we provide at our four early care programs, we offer an extensive training program available to parents and other educators in the community who want to learn about:
We ensure a healthy, safe, nurturing, child-focused environment in our Pre-K Program and our Standard Curriculum by adhering to the following philosophies:
- We accept childhood as a specific state in human development.
- We recognize that learning is a lifelong and continuous process.
- We understand how children grow and learn.
- We support and respect close family relationships.
- We value the individual strengths and talents of children and adults.
- We assist children and adults as they develop positive self-concepts.
The USDA Child and Adult Care Food Program is a free federal program that provides nutrition training and financial reimbursement for approved meals and snacks served in approved homes. Children’s Harbor is a sponsor of the program for all cities in the Tidewater area.
- Free workshops and training.
- Free calendar and record keeping system.
- Free nutrition education materials for children, their parents, and providers.
- Direct deposit of reimbursement checks.
- Minute Menu web-based meal claim program.
- Free membership with Children’s Harbor.
Community Training and Professional Development
Over the past 45 years, we have developed into the hub for quality professional development in our region. We have a robust group of early care consultants and training specialists that travel all over Hampton Roads to provide early childhood education resources to the communities in our area for center-based and family-home teachers and directors/owners, early care educators and advocates, and parents.
Our scholarships ensure all children have access to the keys to a successful future. Children’s Harbor offers income-based scholarship opportunities to help invest in a child’s future, contribute to the betterment of local communities by helping to build the future leaders of tomorrow. Children’s Harbor is a non-profit agency, so your donations to scholarship funds are tax deductible.
By being associated with and evaluated by educational accreditation organizations, we can maintain our high standards of teaching to provide the best education for the children we serve. The accreditation process helps us to identify areas where we excel and where we have opportunities for improvement to ensure that we are constantly on the forefront of early childhood development and education.
- NAEYC Accredited. The National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC) is a professional organization that works to promote high-quality learning for young people.
- Virginia Quality Engaged. Virginia Quality is a rating and improvement system that awards levels to center-based and family day home programs based on quality standards and best practices in:
- The education and qualifications of the staff.
- The curriculum or intentional teaching approach the program uses to guide children’s learning.
- The play-based learning environment.
- High quality teacher-child interactions.
It takes a village. Access any information you need for your child. Our developmental approach to early childhood education acknowledges that as a child grows, behavioral changes accompany physical changes. This approach also recognizes the individual growth patterns of each child.
We are here to help and share in the joy and success of your child’s developmental milestones.