The Lead Teacher works to meet the emotional, social, physical, and cognitive needs of each child in the group; establishes and maintains a safe and child-oriented classroom environment; trains and supervises assigned assistant teachers.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following general areas:
- Implementation of those aspects of the State Minimum Standards for Licensed Child Care Centers, National Accreditation standards, and local, state, federal health and safety standards, which apply to position or classroom.
- Implementation of center and agency policies, procedures, goals, and philosophy.
- Maintenance of accurate and timely reports, paperwork, and records on all children, including their attendance, behavior, accidents, assessments and evaluations, health, and all aspects of their development.
- Assumption of responsibility with minimal supervision; reliability; flexibility; has a positive, supportive attitude toward both children and adults.
- Dependable in attendance and maintains confidentiality.
- Has professional appearance that allows for participation with children and adheres to health and safety standards.
- Works cooperatively with staff and management.
- Supports cultural differences.
- Builds trust and rapport with children.
- Fosters their development of a positive self-concept.
- Encourages independence and development of self-control.
- Respectful of the child.
- Considers the needs of the individual child.
- Models appropriate behaviors and attitudes.
Hourly $10-$13.50 to start depending upon experience/ education, or combination of both
- Medical and Dental Coverage
- Employee paid life insurance
- 403(b) Pension plan
- Tuition Discount
- Generous PTO Package
- Fun- team oriented work environment!
- Professional Development Assistance
- Schedule: Monday to Friday
- 1 or more years’ experience working with children, and at least 4 credits in Early Childhood Education, and/ or a CDA
- Must obtain a negative TB skin test or chest x-ray; obtain a doctor’s statement indicating no evidence of contagious diseases; the ability to lift 40 pounds without restrictions; pass a State and Federal Criminal Check and Child Abuse Registry Check; visually and auditorily supervise children. This position must possess dependable transportation. A valid driver’s license is preferred and may be required.
About Children’s Harbor
Children’s Harbor began shaping young minds in 1911. We have helped thousands of young people gain confidence and leadership qualities by providing an elevated preschool education and instilling strong creative and cognitive skills. We consider ourselves to be a leader in the early-care and education industry, particularly here in Hampton Roads.
Who You Are
You are someone who is passionate about working with students of diverse backgrounds and is committed to the principles of diversity, equity, and inclusion. Understands the importance of education in building a more equitable world; and enjoys working with children!
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Assist the lead teacher with activities, learning modules and ensures safety of children
- Also provide individual assistance to children in small groups to ensure an understanding of concepts
Support the mission, vision, and core values of Children’s Harbor
- Minimum 6 months experience working with students as a teacher assistant/ teacher, student teacher, or an associates degree in ECE.
- Understanding of child development and various learning styles
- Willingness to work collaboratively as part of a team
Hourly starting range $9.25-$11.50 depending upon experience/ education, or a combination of both
- Competitive compensation
- Medical and dental
- Retirement 403(b) plan
- School tuition benefit
- Generous PTO
Children’s Harbor is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Children’s Harbor is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please call 757-397-2981 or email our hiring manager, Nichole Williams: email@example.com