Community Training & Professional Development
The Advocate Newsletter
Beth Anderson, Director of Community Training and Professional Development
- Provide ECE resources for the community: center-based and family-home teachers and directors/owners, early care educators and advocates, and parents
- Serve as the Local VSQI Coordinator for the Eastern Region in assisting center-based mentors and their monthly activities in various VSQI programs in SHR
- Sponsor hands-on trainings, workshops and conferences
- Coordinate the Adult Literacy efforts in Portsmouth in partnership with Portsmouth Reads and the Portsmouth Public Schools
- Facilitate the monthly Provider training series in the cities of Portsmouth, Chesapeake, and Virginia Beach in conjunction with the municipality ECE initiatives
- Offer consultation services that provide needs assessment, technical assistance, and mentoring
- Disseminate information and membership applications for the following organizations: National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC), Virginia, Association for Early Childhood Education (VAECE), Southern Early Childhood Association (SECA), Southeastern Association for the Education of Young Children (SEAEYC), Children’s Harbor-Places and Programs for Children (CHPPC)
- Offer assistance with NAEYC accreditation process
- Help ECE professionals obtain CDA credentials
- Publish and distribute “The Advocate”, a quarterly newsletter with pertinent ECE news and updates
- Provide financial assistance through the emergency child care voucher program
- Coordinate local advocacy events- i.e. “Week of the Young Child” and “Child Care Provider Recognition Day” events
- Host regional trainers in the Facing The Challenge model—for Challenging Behavior in Young Children
- Offer Membership to a local early childhood organization (CH-PPC)
What are the Benefits of Membership?
- Consultation, Mentoring, and Technical Assistance
- “The Advocate”, a timely publication consisting of training, child care information, college course information, educational opportunities, and other pertinent ECE information
- Access to Emergency Child Care Voucher funds
- Free and discounted registration at all Children’s Harbor sponsored conferences, trainings and IDEA workshops
- Membership to the Children’s Harbor e-Bulletin News Group- a frequent communication containing ECE related health news, recall notices, employment opportunities and upcoming community events.
- Access to the CH-PPC resource library
- Access to a calendar of regional Early Childhood trainings
How can I become a member?
If you are a home provider who is enrolled in the Children’s Harbor USDA Adult and Child Food Program, you are automatically a member. If you are a parent, a student, a child care provider, or an early child care center, you can download a membership application here. (attach Membership application) (also see Benefits of Membership flyer) Make check payable to Children’s Harbor and send to the corporate office at:
You will receive a confirmation letter with a membership card.
Need to take your child in for a physical? Now, you can download the form right here on Children's Harbor Website!
Click here to download the School Entrance Form.
If you have any questions, please contact your center director.
ENROLL your child