Where is a Children’s Harbor center located, and what is the phone number?
- Chesapeake—2400 Strawberry Lane, Chesapeake, VA 23324 (South Norfolk area of Chesapeake)
- Ghent—1900 Llewellyn Avenue, Norfolk, VA 23517 (beside The Ghent School & across from Maury High School)
- Olde Towne—620 London Street, Portsmouth, VA 23704 (near Naval Medical Center Portsmouth
- Suffolk—1020 Champions Way, Suffolk, VA 23435 (northern Suffolk at Harborview)
- Corporate Office—702 London Street, Portsmouth, VA 23704
What are your hours?
- CH-Chesapeake: 6:15 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
- CH-Ghent: 6:15 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
- CH-Olde Towne: 6:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
- CH-Suffolk: 6:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
- Corporate Office: 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
What age group does Children’s Harbor provide care for?
The Norfolk, Portsmouth, and Suffolk centers accept ages 6 weeks to 12 years old. Chesapeake center accepts 12 months to 12 years old.
What is the tuition rate, and do we offer scholarships?
Yes, we do offer scholarships based on income eligibility requirements.
(Refer to current Tuition Schedule for rates and scholarships.)
What services do we offer?
- Early care and education for children.
- Assistance & Subsidy Programs: Children’s Harbor scholarship, the Planning
Council, all local Department of Social Services, NAACRA, and other city/state agency that provides support
services for children.
- USDA Child and Adult Food Program (we provide breakfast, lunch, and an afternoon snack)
- Emergency Child Care Voucher funds for Children’s Harbor members.
- Education, training, and workshops for parents, early childhood teachers, and home providers.
- Resources and support services for community early care and education programs
Why choose quality early childhood education?
High-quality care involves consistent, dependable caregivers with the skills and education to provide a learning-rich, developmentally appropriate environment; parents benefit from knowing their children are in good hands, allowing them to work productively. Research has shown that such caregivers support children not only in their educational growth, but also in their social and emotional development, which is so critical in this pivotal time of life. Children experiencing quality care are less likely to repeat a grade in school, experience an early pregnancy, drop out of school, and depend on public assistance. They are more likely to graduate from high school, go to college, buy a home, and have the skills and ability to be the capable workers and critical thinkers needed for a strong, competitive workforce.
What is QRIS?
The Quality Rating and Improvement System (QRIS) is a method to assess, improve and communicate the level of quality in early care and education settings that families consider for their children. The Virginia Star Quality Initiative not only defines standards for early childhood education and creates a framework for accountability, but it also establishes a network of support and outreach for programs and providers, pro- vides incentives linked to achieving and maintaining quality standards, and improves information available to parents. The Virginia Star Quality Initiative features four standard areas for programs, which will be rated on a five-star scale of increasing quality. The four standards are: education, qualifications and training of staff; interactions between children and their teachers and peers; staff to child ratios and group size; and program environment and instructional practices. A strong body of research suggests that early learning programs that focus on improvements aligned with these four standards yield positive outcomes for children.
What QRIS rating did the Children’s Harbor centers receive?
- Children’s Harbor—Chesapeake (3-star rating)
- Children’s Harbor—Olde Towne ( 3-star rating)
- Children’s Harbor—Ghent (4-star rating)
- Children’s Harbor—Suffolk rating results pending
How do I become a member of Children’s Harbor (PPC)?
If you are a home provider who is enrolled in the Children’s Harbor’s USDA Adult and Child Food Program, you are automatically a member. If you are a parent, a student, a child care provider, or an early child care center, below is the fee schedule for yearly membership:
- Parent/Student – $15
- Child Care Provider – $20
- Center/Organization – $50
Mail a check payable to Children’s Harbor to the corporate office—Children’s Harbor, 702 London Street, Portsmouth, VA 23704. You will receive a confirmation letter with a membership card.
Why would I become a member of Children’s Harbor (Places & Programs for Children)?
- To gain access to early child care training, workshops, and conferences.
- We disseminate information for the following organizations:
National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC)—national Virginia Association for Early Childhood Education (VAECE)—state Southeastern Association for the Education of Young Children (SEAEYC)—Tidewater area Southern Early Childhood Association (SECA)—southern region of United States
- We offer consultation services that provide needs assessment, technical assistance, and mentoring.
- Discounted registration at conferences, trainings, and workshops we sponsor.
- Access to Emergency Child Care Voucher funds.
- Information about changes in licensing regulations and laws which impact you and your families.
What is Children’s Harbor’s vision and mission?
Vision—Advocating for access to quality early care and education for all children.
Mission—By providing places and programs, Children’s Harbor is the model for comprehensive services
Need to take your child in for a physical? Now, you can download the form right here on Children's Harbor Website!
Click here to download the School Entrance Form.
If you have any questions, please contact your center director.
- Norfolk Day Nursery 1911-1975
- Day Care & Child Development Centers of Tidewater, Inc. 1975-1990
- Early Works, Inc. 1990-1994
- Tidewater Child Care Association 1974-1994
- Children's Harbor 1994-Present
Children’s Harbor Chesapeake
2400 Strawberry Lane
Chesapeake VA 23324-3113
Children’s Harbor Ghent
1900 Llewellyn Avenue
Norfolk VA 23517-2233
Children’s Harbor Olde Towne
620 London Street
Portsmouth VA 23704-2402
Children’s Harbor Suffolk
1020 Champions Way
Suffolk VA 23435-3728